Friday, August 1, 2008

Another Dr appointment

Thursday was the dreaded 26 week appointment. This was not that different from my other appointments, except that I had to do the diabetes testing. As most people know, I have been totally off sugar since October and have come to realize how sensitive I am to it. When I eat the slightest bit of sugar I get an instant headache. My mom has the same problem, so it must be hereditary. Anyway, for those of you who have never experienced this, you drink this bottle of glucose that tastes like orange soda. I was worried it would be disgusting, but I didn't mind it. Then you wait for an hour and they take your blood to check your sugar level. Since I was so nervous about this test, I talked to my doctor about my anxiety and she told me I had no choice but to do the test, but if I ate a high protein breakfast and popped a few Tylenol before the test, that should help. Amazingly, she was right! By following her advice I didn't get a headache at all, which I could not have been more shocked about. The only thing that happened was I got really hot and a little light headed about 10 minutes after drinking the stuff. So I drank the stuff, went to my appointment, and then had a ultrasound. My hour was up while I was in the ultrasound so the lab tech came in and drew my blood while I was on the table, it was very convenient. However, I am a little nervous that I failed the glucose test. This would not surprise me, due to the aforementioned sensitivity, but annoying all the same. I wasn't too worried until I got a message yesterday asking me to call the nurse back on Monday. If I failed I have to repeat the test fasting and this time it would last 3 hours instead of one. The most annoying this about these tests is that I eat like a diabetic anyway, so nothing would change if I was diagnosed, but whatever.
Again, the ultrasound took forever. This time I had a medical student scan me first. She couldn't get all the pictures so the sonographer came it, then we had to wait about 30 minutes for the Perinatologist to come and scan me. Every time we go there we think it won't take that long, and then we are there all morning. We scheduled the next appointment at 8:00, the first one, so hopefully it will be a bit quicker then. But the babies are doing really well. They are measuring right where they should be and are weighing each 2 lbs exactly. The depressing part is thinking that all the weight I have gained and only 4 lbs is baby, but whatever. The only bad news was that both babies are now breech. I could tell about 3 days ago that the one had flipped since my bladder was getting doubly pounded. If they don't turn, or at least baby A doesn't turn before 32 weeks, it will be a C-section for me, and nobody wants that. So in the mean time we will try and think positive and try and coax both babies into the ideal positions. If not, I guess there are worse things that could happen.
Yesterday Marc turned 35, and he is informing everyone that he is now middle aged (so apparently he thinks he will die at 70). To celebrate we went to Pei Wei and the IMAX Batman with some friends. It was fun to go out with other couples, but a bit depressing when they told us that this was like a vacation to them because they don't get out that often because of their kids. Marc and I have started taking the approach that we just don't want to hear it. I know that after the kids are born that we will be a lot more restricted, but we prefer not to think about it. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Remind Marc that our grandparents all lived to their mid-to-late-80s and early 90s! I'M just now considering myself "middle aged"!

We're glad the appointment went well! See you soon!

rachaeljanae said...

That glucose stuff is so nasty! It's the carbonation that gives me a headache--having to drink it all in five minutes. Yuck. Baby Chester is still sitting breech. I'm constantly pushing his head out of my ribs. But my friend told me all three of her babies were breech until just days before delivery, so don't stress about it.

Kristy said...

What are you doing up at 4:30 AM??? Shame on you...I think with the babies it really depends on you guys...unless they are really premature or something and the doc says you CAN'T go ou. I've had friends that hibernate after their kids are born, but we always just packed them up and took them wherever we were going with us. You get kind of eased into it. Babies are pretty easy at first because they just eat sleep and poop.

Lauren said...

I am glad that everything is looking good. 4 lbs of baby is kinda weird to think of. i was gonna say more but I typed this comment then you walked in before I could click submit and now it is 9:20 at night and I am finishing my post. Love you!

Su said...

Hehe, the good old glucose test... Made me sick, but then do did everything else the entire pregnancy - but I lasted the hour and promptly puked after they drew my blood. By golly it was pure will power because I knew I wouldn't live through doing it over if I mucked up the first one.

I'm glad it went ok for you :D