It seems as though we are constantly going to one kind of appointment or another. Yesterday we had an ultrasound scheduled at 8:00 and were to see my OB at 9:00. That seems reasonable doesn't it? Apparently not. We should know better by now that going to the Perinatologist is never a simple matter. The first person that saw us was a new OB resident who was doing her ultrasound rotation. She barely had a clue at what she was doing. A couple times I tried to point out to her when she had a good picture, but it didn't help. I also tried to save her some time when she messed up on her documentation by reviewing her images and remeasuring. I wasn't really trying to help her, but to get out of there a bit quicker. It didn't really matter. She ended up scanning me for an HOUR AND A HALF! After that time the sonographer and some other guy came in and took her literally 10 minutes to get ALL the pictures that were needed. Marc got to the point where he was ready to snap and tell her to send the doctor in, but he refrained. When all was said and done we were there for over two hours. As the sonographer and the other guy (I think he was another resident) we walking out she mentioned something about practicing looking at hearts on our babies, they decided against it, but I would have refused anyway. But the babies are doing well. They each weigh about 3.5 lbs, which is exactly where they should be. The bad thing, they are both still breech. The Perinatologist wasn't holding out hope that they would turn, but my OB hasn't given up. They are not big turners, as one has never flipped and the other only one time, so I am not too optimistic. Also, because of the twins and the gestational diabetes we are starting the Non-Stress Tests next week and will do it every week until they are born. Yeah! More appointments! All I can say is I am glad that we are double insured.
As far as my due date is concerned, we will either schedule a C-section or induce me on October 14, unless I go into labor sooner than that. Apparently with twins, they will not stop labor after 34 weeks, so we will see. But I am not dilated or effaced at all, so it could very well be Oct 14. My mom has told me that she leaves on vacation on the 15th, so she will visit us in the hospital and that is about it. Marc's mom has told us that is a convenient time for her, so that is good.
In total, between the two appointments, we were at the hospital for for about 3 hours. When I finally got to work, the clinic I was supposed to work was almost finished, but whatever. They knew I would be late.
Today I am meeting with a nurse at the diabetic care center to go over my blood sugars and diet. My doctor was very happy with all of that yesterday, so it shouldn't be too bad. In fact my doctor was so happy, so was telling me I can check my sugar less if I want to. I only had 3 high readings in the last week, and I knew exactly why those readings were high (like eating a bagel and then 2 hours later having a baked potato). I didn't know this, but evidently the biggest risk for not controlling my sugar is it slows lung maturity. So by controlling it, the girls are less likely to spend time in the NICU. That is pretty good incentive. The only thing I have really missed is french fries, and it is probably a good idea not to eat that anyway.
This holiday weekend Marc and I have taken extended time off and will be rearranging our house to accommodate the girls. Should be fun, I will post pictures when we are done!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good Luck with your project. I am excited to see what you do for the nursery!
I went baby shopping today! (Ok, really we were finishing Ryan's school shopping, but I bought things for the babies!) I'm so excited to show you what I bought!
I hope the rearranging went well. You didn't call us to say you needed help. Do you?
I'm so excited for you guys! I hope things continue to go really well for you!
Post a Comment