Friday, August 22, 2008

The Diabetic Care Center

Yesterday I had my appointment with the dietician at the Diabetic Care Center. As you can imagine, I am not the typical patient that comes in for a consultation. First she explained what gestational diabetes is and what causes it (apparently the placenta secretes a hormone that blocks insulin, and having 2 placenta, well you get the idea). She then gave me a glucose meter and showed me how to use it. After that she and an intern gave me a basic nutritional rundown. I already knew everything they were telling me except how to use the meter, but whatever. The one thing that was helpful was the breakdown of how many carbs, protiens and fats I should be aiming for with each meal and snack. Pretty much the entire nutrition speech was about carbs. Before she got going she asked me very seriously "Now do you know what a carbohydrate is?" Marc chuckled and commented that with a lot of people, you need to start from scratch. I guess that is why most people are there, right? So now I need to take my blood sugar levels in the morning and 2 hours after each meal. Hopefully I will be able to control it by eating smart instead of taking medication. We will see.

1 comment:

Jamon Clark said...

you are probably at that fabulous stage where everyone asks when you are due and that you look like you are about to pop (I have not seen pictures to make an equally insensitive remark), best wishes as you deal with that...it was Rachel's favorite time.