Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I got the Sugars!

For anyone who watches Last Comic Standing, last season there was a very large black man on the show who did a bit about being diagnosed with diabetes. When he went to tell his family, they had no idea what he was talking about, but when he told them he had "the sugars," they finally understood. So now Marc and I joke about diabetes being the sugars. Anyway, in order to be diagnosed with gestation diabetes you need to fail 2 out of the 4 blood draws, and that is exactly what I did. So now I get to meet with a dietician who will help me put together a food plan and I will need to start testing my blood sugar 4 times a day. Hopefully I won't need to go on any medication, but we will see how it goes. I will also be keeping a log of my sugar levels and will need to fax it into the doctor every week. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I am not entirely surprised to have failed the first test and now the definitive one, just because I am so sensitive to sugar. I don't think that I will need to alter my diet that much, but I will be interested to see how things go with the dietician and also checking my sugar.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, that would be pretty interesting to keep track of and I'm sure that the dietitian will be fun. Hopefully this turns out to be easy to manage, I'm sure you will be fine considering your no-sugar diet already in place.

rachaeljanae said...

That stinks major. Luckily it will go away after the pregnancy. Hang in there!

Kristy said...

I'm sorry, one of my daycare moms has "the sugars" and they now have her going on three times a week for one thing or another...I hope it doesn't get to that point with you!