Sunday, July 20, 2008
A quick rant about movies
This weekend Marc and I went and saw Dark Knight. We have been anticipating this for a long time, as I know many other have as well. We got advanced tickets and have read many reviews of the movie. Almost every review I have read of Dark Knight has stated that this is truly a PG-13 movies and children should not see it because it is scary and violent and will give them nightmares. So we show up to the movies and low and behold there are children everywhere. We saw one family with small kids, like 3 and maybe 5 years old. There were also several babies. So here's the thing, I understand that people want to get out and go to the movies, but at what cost? Do people even care about what they are exposing their kids to? I personally was very disturbed at times during the movie, and I know that Marc was as well. I am a firm advocate of the ratings system in that G and PG usually mean family friendly; PG-13 means that no children under 13 should see in; and R means no one under 17 should go. Understandable these are just guidelines, but if people are going to allow their children to see movies that are rated inappropriate for them, the least they could do is go and see it first to justify a younger group viewing it. Most parents just take their kids with them instead of screening the movies first. So in conclusion, I don't think kids should go and see the new Batman movie, even though I think it is great for adults.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
As you can imagine, we've been having the "Please can we go see it?!?!" discussion this weekend. (Ryan is sleeping in his Batman jammies as I type this.) I've heard the same reviews in the media, but I certainly trust you and Marc more. I'm going to stick with my "no" on this one.
Yeah, Hire a babysitter. I was especially susceptible to nightmares from movies as a child and would have been in mom's room for a month had I seen something like that!
I can not see a baby under 6 months impacted by any movie...they just eat sleep and well you know the drill. My buddy brought his baby to Lord of the Rings, and she slept right through it. We made a list of banned movies in home movie collection (no R's mind you) that our almost 4 year old can not handle because he acts out things as found in the movie. Our 2 year old daughter can not sit still long enough to absorb what is going on...but sometimes when she notices a tense/climactic moment, she will ask "what is happening Mommy?" Like in Winnie the Pooh movie we recently sent.
I personally get nightmares watching 24....so some movies do not appeal to me.
We went to the movie this weekend... I enjoyed it, kind of... but don't need to see it again. It was very violent! (Definitely NOT for children!)
We saw your family there! Talked to your dad for a sec. Hope he knew who I was!
It was a good thing you posted this because the next day we were all planning on going to see the Dark Night and the men thought that we should bring the seven year old girls. We women used your post as a defense. Derrald and I will see it when we get back.
Post a Comment