Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Finally done with clinicals!!

This last week was exciting since I finished my clinical hours for school. I will probably go down a few more times, but not for the full day. I am going back to full time work at the sleep lab for a few months so that I can maximize my maternity benefits. All in all I think it will be a good thing. I will actually be making more money even though I am "working" less (I put working in quotes since I did not get paid for my clinical hours), and instead of using my built up time off I will get 12 weeks of paid maternity leave at 60%. The best part is that since the 4th, the 24th, and a planned day off for a baby shower are this month, I will only need to work 3 days a week for one week this month.
We had yet another doctor's appointment yesterday and things are good. I am not dehydrated anymore (I actually tried really hard not to be since I was informed that dehydration can lead to contractions and preterm labor) and the babies are growing well. So I am now 22 weeks measuring 27.5 weeks.
I had an interesting conversation with a woman in my ward on Sunday who has identical twin girls. She was telling me that she went full term with her twin pregnancy with her babies weighing 7 lbs and 6.5 lbs and she gained 75 lbs over the course. She is a very thin woman so I had a difficult time imagining her with an extra 75 lbs. She said she weighed more than her 6'3'' husband at the time. I really hope it doesn't get that bad for me. So far my weight gain has been good and I really don't know that I can eat more than I already do. If I eat too much I get nauseated and also feel sick if I don't eat enough. I just try and listen to my body and figure if I feel good I am doing the right things. This same woman also breastfed the twins until they were 11 months old and since I plan on doing that as well I think she will become a valuable resource for me.
As many of you know I (and the rest of my family) love ice cream. Since I have been off sugar I have found some pretty good no sugar added ice creams, but there are no fruit flavors of this variety and I love fruit ice cream in the summer. So I decided to be brave and try and make my own. On Saturday I bought a cheap ice cream maker and yesterday made my first attempt at homemade sugar free ice cream. I wanted to start with something simple and healthy so ultimatly settled on a strawberry frozen yogurt. It turned out SOOO good. I found an incredibly simple recipe and with a few modifications came up with something delicious. I cook quite a bit with plain yogurt and know how tart it can be, so I substituted vanilla Light n' Fit yogurt instead of plain and did splenda instead of sugar. It was perfect and so easy.

Ingredients:
3 cups strawberries (sliced)
1 lemon (juice)
1 cup sugar
2 cups yogurt

Directions:
1. Heat the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from the heat and mash the strawberries.
3. Let cool then mix in the yogurt and test for sweetness.
4. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Is that picture what you made? It looks so delicious. It is good to hear that you are healthy and doing well, I dread even having 1 child in me. Congrats on your clinicals, it sounds like things were planned perfectly for the end of your pregnancy!

rachaeljanae said...

I just bought an ice cream maker this week too! Seth has been on an all-natural no preservatives kick, so of course, we had to figure out an alternative to ice cream. Watermelons are constantly on sale, so my first attempt was watermelon sorbet. It had very little sugar, and I think I'll try even less next time because it was plenty sweet. Yum!!! Here's the recipe:

4 C watermelon juice (blend cubes in blender, then strain)
1/2 C sugar (or less)
2T lemon or lime juice (lime is yum--I added more than 2T)

Even Seth liked this one, who doesn't like watermelon near as much as I do. I'm going to try your strawberry recipe!

Natalie said...

Glad things are going well. Looks like you've planned things just right for work. And your ice cream looks awesome!

Kristy said...

When do we get to see a pictures of your cute belly? That ice cream looks delicious....