 |
| Curly toes |
 |
| Alice loved the waiting room fish tank |
 |
| Watching Wall-E |
 |
| In recovery |
Today Alice went in for her last procedure to fix her feet. Her pinky toes curl under severely and needed to be straightened. All of the previous procedures were done in the doctor's office, but today she actually went in for surgery. We got there bright and early at 7:15. We got checked in, Alice was weighed and measured and we waited for her surgery. As is typical with this particular doctor, things were running behind schedule. I was really glad that I brought my iPod touch with Wall-E and The Princess and the Frog on it. Alice was content to sit in my lap and watch movies while waiting. I was given the option for Alice to get Versed, a sedative, before the surgery. Knowing Alice and her stranger danger, I opted for the extra drugs. Once she got the drugs, she got a little loopy and was touching the iPod screen with greater interest than was warranted. Even with the sedative, she still cried when they took her away. I waited in the waiting room for about 45 minutes until the doctor came in and told me that everything went really well. Soon after that I was taken back to recovery where Alice was just waking up and very tired. She kept trying to sit up but couldn't get balanced. Many other kids in recovery were crying and screaming, but Alice was awesome and simply wanted me to hold her. Before we could leave Alice needed to eat and drink without vomiting. She lost her lunch around when we were going to start getting ready to go which meant we stayed much longer than normal. The worst part was after she barfed she didn't want to eat or drink again. After a few hours she had eaten a few cheerios and drank enough water to satisfy the discharge nurse to allow us to go. We left the hospital a little after 2:00 making our day 7 hours long. She is doing great now. We were given Loratab for her pain and will do an Ibuprofen regimen for a few days to keep the swelling down. She can't get her feet wet for about 10 days but should but up and about in a couple of days. I am so glad that everything went well and we are done with feet procedures. The best part, I don't even feel guilty about letting Alice watch movies all day and eating whatever she wants. The first thing she asked for after the surgery was eggs. The nurse got a big kick out of that. The food options available in recovery were very limited and nothing the girls normally eat. They tried to give her juice, but she didn't like it. They never get juice so it was probably way to sweet for her. By the time she got home she had a hankering for French Toast and has been eating non stop every since. Thankfully she has kept everything down since the incident in recovery.
2 comments:
We're so glad everything went well! I hope she calmed down after her meltdown earlier so you can all get some sleep. Give her (and Claire) hugs & kisses from us!
YAY you're done! It's so wonderful that they were able to fix everything completely. And thank goodness for dvds!
Post a Comment