Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving

This year we had a small Thanksgiving with my parents. We couldn't stay ahead of the big blizzard because I was on call Tuesday night, but we headed down slowly on Wednesday and stayed until Friday. It was a nice relaxing holiday. I really enjoyed the intimacy of the small Thanksgiving because I was able to visit and spend quality time with my family instead of being torn between all of the people I want to talk to. On Friday my mom and I hit some of the sales and scored some pretty good deals. Overall I great Thanksgiving!
My mom and I preparing Thanksgiving dinner
Me, Marc, Janell, Caleb, Dad, and Mom
The girls were napping during the actual dinner, but they
woke up at the end and were still able to enjoy the festivities.


 My major contribution this year was mashed potatoes. This is a recipe one that I have no where else to put, so here it is.

The Ultimate Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:

5 pounds (about 10 medium) baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
2 oz. cheddar cheese, (about 1/2 cup) grated
4 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
Add salt.  Place over high heat and bring to a boil.  Cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
Drain and mash with a potato masher.  Add 4 Tbsp. melted butter and the cheese and continue to mash until well incorporated.  Season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Su said...

oo, the cream cheese! that's what i've been missing! I always put sour cream in mine, but cream cheese would probably give a more exciting flavor.

and i'm glad you were at your mom's, it's always nice to have extra eyes watching out for the kids!