Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cranky Babies


The last few days have been a little rough. Claire has always been a bit colicky, but she is usually manageable. The last few days however, she has been crazy at night. Last night she was crying for about 4 hours and screaming at the top of her lungs for roughly 2 hours. I was reading that colic peaks at 2 months (which is exactly how old she is) so maybe we are just at the worst part of it. We attempted to feed her partially broken down formula with no success, so next we will try the totally broken down, hypoallergenic formula to see if that works. It may not, but it is worth trying.
Alice has also been unusually grumpy these last couple of days. Our theory with her is that her casts are getting too tight. Her little thighs are popping out of the top of them, so you really can't blame her. She absolutely hates sitting up, because it pinches her. Luckily she is getting new casts tomorrow, so hopefully she will feel better soon.
When they are unhappy, both of them just want to be held. Up until this point I haven't held them both at the same time because their necks were not strong enough and I couldn't give them the support they needed. This week I have felt more comfortable attempting this with great success. Holding them both at the same time is so much better that leaving one to scream until the other is consoled. Juggling babies leaves everyone frustrated.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

2 months down, 10 to go. Your 1/6th of the way there...through the first year that is...which is reportedly the worst of it...they are SO cute though....

Su said...

2 months is rough. You're in the trenches now Fran, so just take it an hour at a time. If an hour is too long, go for 15 minutes. My mantra for 2 months was "he can't cry forever" and "he'll have to sleep eventually".
You've probably tried everything by now, but what worked for Allan was running water. Whenever he was super cranky, I'd lay him on a towel in the bathroom floor and let him listen to the tub run. The expensive water bill was worth it! I hope they get quieter soon!

B said...

They're so cute!
I really can't wait to meet them. And hold them and play with them :)
Ha, and you're right, Jean-Luc Piccard... Caleb's mentioned that, we'll see, hahaha.

Natalie said...

doesn't sound fun... good luck!
cute picture