


We arrived safely in Lima, Peru after a super uncomfortable red eye flight in which I think I slept but am not really sure. We arrived at about 5:30 local time and went straight to the hotel and napped until 1. Our tour group went on a tour of Lima and it was very interesting to see how the Spanish just came and built their city on top of the Incan city that was already here. There are Incan Temples all around the city that the Spanish were too lazy to demolish which are really cool. We also went to a totally opulant monastary in which our tour guide basically described as being built with guilt money of the rich Conquistadors trying to get into heaven. The Catacombs were also really cool. Sorry about the lack of pictures but the monastary doesn't allow photography inside. One thing that I found really fascinating was the Spanish/Moorish influence. This was interesting because while the Spanish were Catholic, much of the Moorish influence was actually Islamic which was evident in the style of the decor as well as the customs of the time (women wore burkas). We are going to a dinner and show tonight where we will see traditional dancing and sample traditional cuisine. I might not check in for awhile because we leave for Cusco in the morning and I am not too sure about the internet service.
No comments:
Post a Comment