Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yesterday I had my 20 week doctor's appointment and ultrasound. At the doctor's appointment, nothing was really interesting except that I was dehydrated. But other than that things are going well. I was happy to hear that I am no longer measuring 7 weeks ahead, only about 5-6. So I can deal with that. The ultrasound was another story. We got there right on time at 3:00 and didn't get in for about 45 minutes. Since this is the major ultrasound checking anatomy and structures and all that, it took forever. I shouldn't have been surprised though. When I scan just one baby it takes about 20 minutes, so a 40 minute one for two is right in line. But about 30 minutes into it I started having a really difficult time. Let me preface this with saying that I have difficulty laying on my back since it cause my lower back to ache, and I also can't have anything compressing my stomach (I have a hard time even wearing maternity pants because the elastic compresses me and I feel like I am going to pass out.) So after 30 minutes I started to get hot and light headed so I had to sit up and have a drink of water and take some deep breaths before I let her finish scanning me. When the tech was done we had to wait another 20-30 minutes for the Perinatologist to come in and finish up (I wasn't as annoyed at this point because I could lay on my side and gear up for more ultrasound). I really like the guy that we have been seeing, Marc Jackson. He is friendly and informative. Most of the time he was telling me about another girl that he had just seen (the reason it took him so long). When she got pregnant, her diabetes was way out of control and now her baby was suffering from an encepholocele. That is when there is a hole in the skull and the brain is protruding out. There is really nothing they can do for the babies and the vast majority of the time they die in utero or shortly after birth. I think they must like having someone like me come through where I am healthy and my babies are healthy, there just happens to be two of them.
On another note, we celebrated our first (kind of) father's day. I bought Marc a manly diaper bag. I will try and post a picture of it tomorrow. It is pretty cool. If you want to see a demo of it you can go to http://www.dadgear.com/gear_main.cfm?ID=10#. It is kind of fun and Marc is pretty excited about it. Speaking of which, when I was checking out and scheduling my next ultrasound the receptionist asked us if that is OK that we were having twins. We both looked at her funny because it has to be OK. That is what we are getting. I just thought it was the weirdest comment to make. People are strange.

No comments: