Sunday, February 12, 2012
Job Charts
I have decided that my kids are old enough that they should be rewarded for good behavior and helping, so today I made up a very simple job chart for them. We will see how it goes and hopefully I will be adding more jobs in the near future. I am anxious to see how this works out. I am thinking of giving a small reward for each column or row accomplished with a big reward if all the squares get filled. I think the most challenging squares will be "no time outs" and "try your food." Let me know your ideas on 3-year-old appropriate jobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm not sure what 3 year old jobs would be but I just wanna say how fun it was to get your valentines card in the mail! Love YA!!
Yea for my only Valentines day card! I think the small sticker is good enough reward for now. Immediate gratification. dollar stores are Grrrreat for those things
I agree with Mom, the sticker is plenty of reward. Rewards that come after many days of good behavior requires a bit of abstract thinking that's beyond them right now. Unloading the silverware in the dishwasher, clearing dishes from the table, sorting laundry are all great starts.
My favorite book on chores is called the Parenting Breakthrough by Marilee Boyak (Deseret Book). It's awesome!
We did a chart for Allan who is 4 now, and his reward is still a sticker! He wanted the expensive CTR stickers, so he only gets one sticker after he crosses off all his chores.
Some chores we do, not on your list -
make bed
help with dishes
set the table
get in the mail
Chore charts are great, rewards are great. But always remember helping at home is part of being a family. Too many rewards make for kids who expect something for everything they do. Make sure you let them feel the joy of service just for that reward alone. There is nothing greater than feeling the joy of service and not expecting anything in return. Aunt Colleen
Post a Comment